It was an historic performance for POCC. We prevailed against WCC’s dominant women’s program and came close to besting them in mixed as well. Additionally, we fielded the most crews we’ve had at a race since I’ve been with the club by far. Some other race stats:
- 10 members conquered their first race
- POCC fielded 6 crews, and helped New Hope fill their mixed canoe (congrats to New Hope on their first race!)
- One new race steer stepped up
- 7 paddlers raced twice, 23 miles total
- POCC took home 30 pineapples: 1 first place (women’s unlimited), 2 2nd places (women’s spec and mixed unlimited), and 2 3rd places (women’s spec and mixed unlimited)
- Every crew placed either 1st or 2nd in their age category, with a growing number of competitors in masters and senior masters alike
In addition to our successes, it was a fun day spent on and by the water among our paddling ohana. Thank you ALL for the dedication and drive that got us here. To reach the next level, we need to keep working on our refinement, boat blend, and developing more race steers (especially women). We have a practice being coached from a launch with video coming up on Wednesday. Please try to make it if you can.
Finally, a HUGE shout out to our trailering team, Colleen and Dave (with a follow from Bruce), and to all our kickass steers this weekend.
Way to crush the first race of 2022, POCC!
Click here to enjoy photos/videos from the organizers.